Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Nut Job (2014)



Because I was walking into this expecting it to suck, it was nice to know that it actually wasn't that bad.

I do have to agree with one reviewer about the animation being what saves the movie, because it really does look good.

As far as everything else goes, chances are this one won't veer too far from your expectations. Plenty of tired jokes abound, also some fart jokes which I found to be funny, but that's just because I'm really childish. Since this is a PG movie there really aren't that many nut puns, which was actually kind of disappointing.

As for the plot line, it's pretty much the usual clichéd family movie setup: Main character is really self-centered, main character goes out on his own to prove he doesn't need anybody (actually he's kicked out but you get the idea), main villain plots evil scheme against main character's former friends, main character has a change of heart, main character reconciles with friends and saves the day.

Despite these shortcomings, I actually kind of enjoyed this one, the animation was good, and some parts were kind of funny. What can I say? I have a soft spot for this stuff! I'm sure the younger children will love it, there were two kids in the theater I was in laughing their heads off. 

6 out of 10 garbage bags

No comments:

Post a Comment